From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:11:32 -0500
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Jay Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do any of you know of a working flat boat representative of early- to mid-nineteenth century river travel?
>
> I'm particularly interested in ones in the southeast on display on land or in the water.

The Alexandria Seaport Foundation used to have a working dory boat
that was common in the area for the early-mid 1800s. I don't know if
they still have the boat but it's the boat on their logo. They also
build little skiffs, which I assume were also common boats.
http://www.alexandriaseaport.org/index.htm

The Calvert Marine Museum also has a collection of flat bottomed
boats. They can tell you which ones were common for your time period.
I assume all of them were since the styles have been around for at
least a couple of hundred years:
http://www.calvertmarinemuseum.com/ships_and_boats.htm#Collection

The Reedville Fisheman's Museum might have some more information as
well, though I don't think their boats are flatbottomed.
http://www.rfmuseum.org/

Hope this helps!!

Deb Fuller