From:
"John A. Bing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:48:50 GMT
On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:38:23 -0400, you wrote:

>Listers,
>
>For those members of the list not interested in more discussion on this subject please delete this message now.
>

>Thank You!
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>I have been following this thread with much interest, amusement, and at times, chagrin. The original posting has obviously inspired much discussion among the members of this list. I think this is a good thing; Intelligent discussion about the nature and quality of "American culture" can never be detrimental.

                        SNIP

>This is where I would like to see this thread go, a discussion on presenting the history of a subject to various audiences with various viewpoints concerning the history of that subject. I welcome any comments or feedback on what I have said above?
>
>Regards.
>

>Dennis Comerford

I want to praise Dennis Comerford for his articulate and objective
commentary on "The American Expectation."   Not only does it address
the differing opinions on the amusing and cynical posting  " The Bill
of Non Rights" but he turns the  discussion in a positive way to
elicit constructive comments from the museum community.

I happen to have chuckled over the original posting and nodded my head
in agreement  with  most of the non-rights.  One thought on the
subject is that  it reflects the generation gap in our society.  For
those of us who grew up in the depression and who served in WWII
and/or Korea we do not see the government as the provider and
guarantor of good health and happiness.  I can hear it now for
opponents to throw out comments about the GI Bill of Rights, of Social
Security, of Medicare as government largess to our generation.
Really?  not so.  The GI Bill benefits were EARNED by active service
in the armed forces, month for month.  Basic Social Security has been
EARNED by deductions from earnings payrolls for the past 50 years.
Medicare is less clear in that it is paid only in part by payroll
deductions.

Having said that, my closing comment is to say that I view the
situation of museums in the same light.  We must EARN the support and
donations from our communities and donors.  To believe the government
should guarantee our budgets, our performance or non performance is
unhealthy.

John A. Bing
Board Member, Laguna Art Museum
--