From:
Connie Bodner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:36:57 -0500
Hello Everyone,

We have been trying to puzzle our way through a dilemma having to do
with an exhibition of student art, and we seek the wisdom of the group.
A grant-funded program created to help bring art education and museum
experiences to rural students has had the following five elements:

(1) we provided an art educator to teach a formal lesson in 4th-grade
classrooms at each of four schools (243 students);
(2) students then came to our gallery of wildlife art for a guided tour
(which was, of course, keyed to the concepts in the lesson);
(3) students then spent time at our nature center, making their own
observations of wildlife and the natural environment;
(4) students called on these experiences and their new learnings to
create their own works of wildlife art; and
(5) we will mount an exhibit of ten works from each of the four schools
in our gallery for a public show this spring.

The students are working on their pieces now, and their teachers will
choose the works to be in the show. Our question relates to what kind of
recognition would be appropriate. Should we present ribbons,
certificates, or other acknowledgments to some or all of the students
whose works are in the show, to all of the students who participated, to
no one, or some other permutation that we haven't come upon yet? The
students are doing terrific work, and we're proud as can be of their
efforts. We want them to feel a sense of accomplishment, but we are also
warned against being too exclusive.

We will be very grateful for any and all insights our experienced
colleagues may wish to provide.

Thanks in advance,

Connie Bodner
Genesee Country Village & Museum