From:
Danna Freedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:01:25 -0800
Dear Listers,

It seems that the recent job announcement that I sent to the list has once
again fueled a discussion about salaries.

No, there was not a typo in the job announcement for an Art Administrator
at the Cantor Foundation.  The Foundation is a non-profit organization with
a low budget. "Low 20s" is what we can afford to pay for that position.  We
are not looking to hire someone fresh out of college.  We need someone with
basic office experience who has some prior knowledge about art and museums.
 Hence, it is not an entry-level position.  Although I personally do not
agree with the low salaries that museum/art non-profit professionals are
paid, I have to agree with Mr. Dill that those of you in this field should
know by now that you will not be paid on the same scale as your peers in
the for profit/business world.  I have noticed however that very few of the
positions advertised on this list give any indication of the salary for the
reason that it is most likely not high enough and would probably deter many
applicants.  The reason that the Cantor Foundation chose to put a salary in
the job posting is so that we do not invite dissappointment.

It is unfortunate that society does not place a high value on the arts.
Until we as a country place a higher priority on culture, education and the
advancement of cultural programs and institutions, the salary situation on
all levels will not change.

I would like to add that most of the current Foundation staff, myself
inculded, started here in that position and have quickly moved up.  As a
former Art Administrator at the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Foundation (who
was also paid a low salary), I will say that it is a valuable experience
that will likely benefit the right applicant for the longterm of his/her
career.

Danna Freedy
Assistant Curator and Registrar
Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Foundation