From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:42:54 -0400
Museum time depends on your interests and how much you read, I would give a
half day for each place on average, maybe more for American History and
Holocaust and zoo. But most museums could take most of a day or even more
if you are really interested in the content. The national portrait gallery
and museum of women in the arts are good too, but are a few blocks off The
Mall. If you need to escape crowds, go there. I haven't done the castle
tour, I know from experience that the white house tour is not worth the
trouble. Arlington house at Arlington cemetary is nice, as is Mount Vernon,
if you find yourself having any extra time. You can buy tickets with local
tour companies that will take you all over.

You should get Holocaust museum tickets a day or two before for a couple of
dollars, it is worth it, it saves hours of time standing in line. Summer
crowds are frightening and if you get tickets ahead of time you won't miss
this amazing museum. In summer they run out of tickets alot, from what I
have heard. The hotel should be able to help with that.

As for accomodations, if you stay in the city, Foggy bottom and Dupont
circle are nice and on the metro (subway), the area around the white house
is pretty safe and convenient, or you could save money staying in a hotel
in Virginia that is accessible to the metro. Roslyn and Arlington are right
outside the city and should be cheaper than in the city, but you still
would not need a car. if you book through expedia.com or another travel web
site you could get a good deal. There are tons of hotels in the area.  The
scary areas are scattered around, but usually are not in the typical
tourist areas. In general southeast and southwest DC have more iffy areas.

I hope you enjoy DC. I lived there for five years and it has alot to offer.
you can e-amil me if you have any specific questions about neighborhoods
and such. I am unemployed and have plenty of time to help. :)

Elizabeth Walton
www.clotheslinejournal.com