From:
Casandra Karl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:34:02 -0500
Hello all!

I recently had a discussion with the Director of a small local historical museum regarding the pros and cons of charging an admission fee to museum visitors (she casually asked for my opinion and it turned into a *huge* discussion).  She argued that charging admission would reduce visitorship and not really generate much income anyway (I actually agree with the second point somewhat).  I argued that charging a small amount (say $2) would increase the perceived value of the experience and give the museum a bargaining chip by offering "free admission" to members or for special days or events.

Does your museum charge admission?  What factors influenced the decision of whether or not to charge admission at your institution?  If you can cite evidence/resources to back-up your position, that would be helpful as well.

Thank you.

-Cass