From:
Treden Wagoner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:31:58 +0000
Mr. Sisley:
I coordinate the intern program at The Minneapolis Institute of Art. What I
have done to insure that the intern gets the most from the experience,
regardless of the seemingly mundane tasks often associated with internships,
is to schedule talks with different members of the staff. These talks are
designed to educate and illuminate. They also create an occassion for the
intern to make a contact with someone they might not meet during their
intern duties.
I had twenty-five staff members volunteer their time for these talks. From
the Director's office to the art storage facilitiy most aspects of our
museum's operation were covered.
The idea is to open a door for these interns . It is then up to them to make
the contacts and continue to learn from their intern experience. I am in the
process of evaluating this program to see if it worked for this season's
interns.

I believe that the internship is an open door and that once inside the
intern should apply their enthusiasm towards learning as much as possible.
The intern should find out what else there is besides the "grunt" work. Make
contacts, ask questions, find the answers.

I welcome further inquires/comments off list : [log in to unmask]