From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:31:59 +0000
Beau,

Your instincts are right.

Never oil an historic or artistic object. Many oils that contain organic fatty acids that will tend to hydrolize and crosslink over time. This can cause organometallic corrosion in copper alloys (this naturally occurs when leather is in contact with brass or even on parts of my eyeglasses). Oiling wood or "feeding" wood is another one in which the old oils over time crosslink, darken, and can harden into a glossy black layer. The wonderful conservation firm that I work for recently had a project on a national landmark building where we spent many hours in carefully removing aged layers of linseed oil from wooden architectural elements - and the visual difference is stunning.

The only exception to this is when you have mechanical / functional objects such as machinery where lubrication is required. And even then the oils that are used are selected with properties such as being non-ionic.

I have many years experience in the conservation of historic firearms and I would never recomend oiling the mechanism. First, because the oil will inevitably creep into the adjacent wood stock. Second, because historic firearms should not be snapped or actually shot because there is the danger of metal fatigue that is microscopic  can grow and parts can suddenly fail. You should not be playing with old guns!

Cheers!

Dave

David Harvey

Conservator