Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 09:00:36 -0700
<snip>If you could say definitively "I cannot maintain this
> collection or mount this exhibit or run this department with volunteers"?

I have worked in a place where the Director wanted to make the security
dept. all volunteer.  I was told "these things lasted hundreds of years
in the ground - why do we need to air-condition them?  Who do you
suggest I fire to pay the electric bill?"  I think you underestimate the
struggles that go on over this between the staff fighting to keep the
doors open and the staff fighting to preserve the materials, and
whatever other players may come into the picture.

I still think those who work hard, stay informed, train themselves or
get training in useful skills, and apply themselves to the task should
be able to find a position - or at least an OK starting place -
somewhere.  The work is certainly there, the only tricky part is the
money.
--
Timothy L. Campbell
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/8189