From:
Hodcarry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 22:39:44 GMT
<<The best curators
(not just in the collections area, but in research and exhibitions as
well)
I have met are generalists, and know enough to do basic research and >>  I
think you can draw an analogy  with the current discussion in
education-should a math(science, French etc) teacher be an excellent
teacher or have  excellent knowledge  of mathematics? The answer is both,
of course, but that may not be an option. Likewise, should a curator be
trained in "museum science" or should a curator be expert in subject
matter? Again, the answer should be both but, I feel, not an option with
many young professionals in history museums and sites.  I think natural
history museums and major art museums have avoided this pitfall, for the
most part.