From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 12:16:46 -0600
Howdy All:

I appreciate good humor just like the next guy; but good humor should
not be buried amongst (supposedly) factual news.  So, for those who may
not have realized it -- if that is even possible -- one news story
included in the latest Global Museum Webzine is entirely fictitious . .
.

So those who think the United States is a bit batty, please realize
"Cicadas Declared Legal Tender to Boost Economy" is *not* true.  LOL!
It comes from one of my favorites: The Watley Review
(www.watleyreview.com), which describes its content as follows:

        "The Watley Review is dedicated to the production of articles
        completely without journalistic merit or factual basis, as this
        would entail leaving our chairs or actually working. Names,
        places and events are generally fictitious, except for public
        figures about which we may have heard something down
        at the pub. All contents are intended as parody and should
        be construed as such."

So, read the (supposedly) factual news with some measure of suspicion,
and read The Watley Review -- and others of its kind, like The Onion --
with total suspicion.  ;-)

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Curator of Education
Nora Eccles Harrison Museum of Art
Utah State University
4020 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT     84322-4020
T 435.797.0165
F 435.797.3423

Education costs money, but then so does ignorance.
Sir Charles Moser, b. 1922