From:
Bernard Barryte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 11:29:53 PDT
We have a curious problem:  a piece of art was left on our door step
by person(s) unknown.  It fits more or less into our collection so
we might at some point wish to accession and conserve it.  We have
contacted   local police and FBI about this "orphan."  Does anyone
have information regarding the legal (or ethical) status of the
object, particularly at what point we might claim ownership (or at
least legitimately claim compensation for expenses incured for its
preservation)?

Thank you for your advice or bibliographic references.

Please respond off-list to: [log in to unmask]

Bernard Barryte,
Stanford University Museum of Art

To:  [log in to unmask]