From:
Collections Dude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 08:50:03 -0700
Krista I'm gonna reply to the list a) because you didn't provide your
e-mail address b) 'cause I'm gonna brag.

The University of Northern Iowa Museum, Cedar Falls, Iowa, USA and the
Old Residency Museum, Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria sponsored a 2
day seminar (May 19-20) in Calabar in recognition of International
Museums Day as a result of an International Partnership Among Museums
(IPAM) grant.  The Seminar will produce a bibliographic index of
biological, sociological and historical work done in Cross River State
that will be published and used as a resource to encourage an
international field of scholars to continue research objectives in Cross
River with the Old Residency Museum and the University of Calabar.

I and my partner Philip Ajekigbe (archaeologist), of the National
Commission of Museums, Nigeria concieved of and implemented this
project.
It is our intenetion to facilitate academic exchanges that will result
in a local and international understanding of the Cross River Basin,
which is a region rich in both nature and culture, both of which are
being threatend at an alarming rate.  Our museums are taking the
initiative to bring this to light and hopefully expedite research,
preservation, education, and conservation in this remote yet important
region.

You will be hearing more about this as the results of the seminar are
transmitted to the academic and museum communities.

Terry Vidal  mailto:[log in to unmask]
Collections Manager
University of Northern iowa Museum  http://www.uni.edu/museum