From:
Anne El-Omami <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:32:11 -0700
on 8/28/02 12:12 PM, Amy Miller at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I, too, am interested in Exhibit Design and have looked into the program at
> The University of the Arts in Philadelphia.  Advice that I have received from
> professionals in the field has suggested that a master's degree is not
> essential, and have recommended Interior Architecture and Industrial Design
> programs.  My question leap-frogs off of Rosie's: If I have a BA in a liberal
> arts field (English) and many years of museum experience (collections,
> exhibit planning, development), what should I do to pursue my interest in
> Exhibit Design?  Many of the schools that offer degree programs in Interior
> Design are very competitive and require art or design backgrounds.  I am
> concerned that I will need to earn a second BA to ensure that I have the
> proper coursework.
>
> Rosie, I looked at the Interior Design Educators Council webpage:
> www.idec.org/gradprograms.htm. Most of these are post-professional programs,
> however.
>
> Thank you for any input.
>
> Amy Miller

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
> . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
> one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the

> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

The responses to my suggestion to look at the MFA program in Exhibition
Planning and Design at The University of the Arts have been very
interesting.  We have more and more applicants each year who began their
work in either Interior Architecture or Industrial Design and have found
that such programs do not meet their needs.  The rationale behind U Arts's
MFA  - Museum Exhibition Planning and Design - is that the Planning aspect
is of particular importance.  Our faculty includes the founders of AAM/NAME
(National Association of Museum Exhibition Designers) and the current editor
of Exhibitionist Magazine.

Our faculty also includes many people currently holding fulltime permanent
positions in many of the Nation's  largest museums including MoMa,
Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Asia Society , the National Gallery of Art,
the Museum of the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, The American
Philosophical Society, to name just a few.

The graduate programs at U Arts have a 98% placement rate for their
graduates with all graduates working in the geographical location and type
of museum of their choice or particular interest.

You may wish to check with the AAM Committee on Museum Professional Training
for information on many of the programs.

I also find it amazing that people are being advised that a graduate degree
is not necessary when many of our administrative assistants, art handlers,
etc. hold MAs and/or Ph.D.s   The field is very competitive both for
graduate study and for professional positions.

The Department of Museum Studies at the University of the Arts offers three
graduate degrees, the MFA in Exhibition Planning and Design, the MA in
Museum Education and MA in Museum Communication (the only program in the
US).

U Arts web site is currently under construction/redesign so you may want to
check the link that will take you to the Museum Studies separate website.

Anne
Anne El-Omami
Associate Professor
Director, MA Program