From:
Hervé Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:42:07 -0500
Here's one regarding the age of volunteers. You reconstruct a Victorian
garden around the Victorian House where your museum is located. Before
the project starts, volunteers promise to help the landscape architect
who's been hired and who's established his/her costs in accordance with
the number of hours/volunteers that was promised. But volunteers are all
80-90 years old; they hardly show up at all during the summer, except to
look at progress.  The landscape architect ends up doing a lot of the
work by him/herself and has to hire help for manual labor. You manage to
keep the project within budget despite the increased expenses but you get
blamed by the board (where the very same unreliable volunteers sit once a
month) for a garden that has cost more than what was initially planned.
Sad but true story...

Hervé Gagnon