Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 19:38:24 -0500
In a message dated 97-03-18 14:34:48 EST, [log in to unmask] (MCDevinney)
writes:

> Contact Doug Wicklund at the National FireArms Museum in Fairfax VA.  The
>  number is 703-762-1600 (I think! If this is wrong call info in Fairfax,
>  703-555-1212 and ask for the NRA).

703-267-1602 or what the heck, dial the 1-800-672-3888 number and follow the
directions. Doug Wicklund is definately the guy to talk to. The important
points to remember when displaying firearms is that they should be mounted
very securely, but should be mounted with a non-interactive material that
does not scratch, discolor, or otherwise damage the object. Up, down,
whatever is not a factor. Remember that firearms by there very design are
ill-suited for preservation (wood and metals require dissimilar temperature
at humidity levels for optimum maintenance), so anything you do to one, in
terms of preventitive conservation techniques, usually is not the best for
the other - but like children, they manage to survive. The most attractive
and beneficial to the object manner for display is by placing pegs
(approximately the length of the width of the firearm) with aprotective
coating on them at the balance points of the firearm (i.e. under the trigger,
at the end of the barrell or under the buttstock). The gun tends to look as
if it is floating in air and if the pegs are secure, no amount of banging on
the case can dislodge them. Hope this helps!

- Adrienne
(former assistant curator of collections at the National Firearms Museum)