From:
Shannon Glasheen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:36:09 -0400
The Louisiana Association of Museums will present Spring Summit 2003 on
Monday, May 5 at the National D-Day Museum, 945 Magazine Street, New
Orleans.  The day will be devoted to a discussion of the future of museums.

"While many of us have engaged in long-range planning, setting
institutional goals and prescribing actions that will allow us to realize
our visions, we often find the road to success is fraught with obstacles,
detours, and changes in our destinations.  Not only is this the case for
our individual organizations, it is a collective experience,” said Tamra
Carboni, Director of Curatorial Services at the Louisiana State Museum.
The program will feature a Roundtable Conversation with a panel of twelve
museum leaders, titled Museums and the Future: Are We There Yet?…Are We
There Yet?…Are We…, chaired by Ms. Carboni.  Panelists from a variety of
disciplines, sizes of institutions and communities, who will discuss
approaches to changes in marketing, tourism, technology, education,
collaboration, and public expectations, include:
- E. John Bullard, Director, New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans
- Ralph E. Calhoun, Jr., Executive Director, Emy-Lou Biedenharn
Foundation/Biedenharn Museum and Gardens, Monroe
- David Floyd, Director, LSU Rural Life Museum, Baton Rouge
- Rick Gruber, Director, The Ogden Museum of Southern Art, New Orleans
- Kathy Hambrick, Director, River Road African American Museum and Gallery,
Donaldsonville
- Mary Henderson, Director, Lafayette Natural History Museum & Planetarium
- Carolyn Kennedy, Director, West Baton Rouge Museum, Port Allen
- Herman Mhire, Director, University Art Museum, University of Louisiana,
Lafayette
- Gordon H. “Nick” Mueller, President and Chief Executive Officer, The
National D-Day Museum, New Orleans
- Joseph B. Schenk, Chief Executive Officer and Director, Mobile Museum of
Art, Mobile, Alabama
- James F. Sefcik, Director, Louisiana State Museum, New Orleans
- Jeff West, Chief Executive Officer, The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey
Plaza, Dallas, Texas

The Summit will also include an exploration of the National D-Day Museum
and a buffet luncheon, with a keynote address, The Future of Museums, by
guest speaker Joseph B. Schenk, CEO and Director of the Mobile Museum of
Art.  The membership will vote to approve the projected budget for 2003-
04.  Pre-registration is required with a fee of $35 for LAM members / $70
for non-members (including lunch and museum visit).  (Non-member fee
includes a one-year Individual Membership.)

9 a.m. till 12 noon Explore the National D-Day Museum on your own

12 noon   Spring Summit Luncheon and Business Meeting
   Keynote Address:  The Future of Museums
   Speaker:  Joseph B. Schenk, CEO and Director,
                        Mobile Museum of Art
2 p.m. till 4 p.m. A Roundtable Conversation on Museums and
                        the Future: Are We There Yet?...
                        Are We There Yet?...Are We...

For more information or to register for the Spring Summit 2003, contact the
LAM office at (225)383-6800 or by email at [log in to unmask]

Shannon Glasheen
Curator of Statewide Services
Louisiana State Museum
P.O. Box 2448