From:
Jem and Mook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 22:37:29 +1000
I am a museum studies student currently completing a research paper about
popular culture collections.

My inquiry began in light of the fact that a number of major Australian
museums have established "popular culture" collections recently.  After
preliminary research, I have found that popular culture is a problematic
term and very difficult to define, especially in the context of museum
collecting.

 I am interested if anyone on the list is working in a museum with a
"popular culture"  collection.  If so, how does the museum define the term
"popular culture" and what kinds of items are collected?  Alternatively, are
there many museums that have investigated the establishment of specifically
named "popular culture" collections and abandoned the idea?  If so, why?

Additionally, does anyone have suggestions where I could find literature
specifically referring to popular culture and museums?  (I am aware of Kevin
Moore's 1995 publication "Museums and Popular Culture", as well as the
edition about popular culture in the Social History Curators Group Journal ).

Please reply off list if any of these questions need further clarification.

Marianna Auliciems