From:
"Ginger M. Young" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:32:57 EDT
Originally I was not going to reply to this thread, but alas I can no longer
stand by on the sidelines.  I understand the point made that because I am not
of another culture I cannot fully understand what it is like to be another
culture.  That said, I strongly believe that that should not stop me from
pursuing educational study of cultures that I am not part of (by whomever's
definition) nor let it prevent me from working within a museum focused on a
culture other than what I belong to.  With an anthropological background, the
study of other cultures comes very naturally to me, especially since I am very
interested in other cultures and want to continue to grow educationally in
that direction.

I find it somewhat offensive that some out there in museum listserve land
think that because (for example) I am not African - American that I could not
work in such a museum.  I would strive to gain the knowledge any way possible
in order to best understand the culture at hand.  I work with a Hispanic man
and just yesterday he told me that he did not want to be considered first and
foremost Hispanic, not to ignore his cultural identity, but rather because his
family moved to America to become.. yep you guessed it.. American.  So, in his
eyes he sees himself as an American first.  That fact in itself should show
that not all ppl out there feel that non-culture members cannot strive to
better understand whatever cultures they want to and still be able to work in
that culture's museums.  After all, most of us in this country are American,
aren't we?

On another line, if a museum is all run by the culture it is primarily
representing... what happens in that museum and other museums, such as an
ethnographical one, where it is most likely impossible to have a staff
representing everything from Native American culture to New Guinea culture?
Are we not to possess artifacts from other cultures because in some eyes we
would not be able to understand it (as we are not all from the New Guinea
culture) or portray it in a "true" light?

Needless to say, I highly disagree with not being capable of working within a
museum representing a culture I may not belong to.  I feel that as long as the
individuals responsible take the initiative to learn as much as they possibly
can about the culture(s) at hand, including contacting ppl belonging to that
culture, etc. I see no problem with that person being in that position.
Perhaps others feel differently, but this is my opinion.  I sincerely
apologize if my opinion has offended anyone in the least.

Ginger M. Young