From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:18:06 -0400
Hello all!

In light of the recent thread that keeps popping up about working in the
museum world, esp. starting out in one, I was wondering how many people out
there actually started in museums at an entry-level position and worked
their way up to higher positions.  I remember from an intern seminar on
museum careers at the Smithsonian last year and practically none of the
people who spoke on getting a job in the museum career actually started in
museums.  Some were art professors, science educators or had other similar
positions, but few actually had museums in mind for their career and
pursued it.  Most didn't get into museum work until much later in their
careers.

I was wondering if that is the norm among older museum professionals and
it's just now that we're starting to see the museum field as an actual
career-track field, rather than something people come into from other
related fields like art history, education or science.  Thus the saturated
market and birth of new museum studies programs.

Just curious!

Thanks!

Deb Fuller

Staples &  Charles Ltd.