From:
Brian Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 07:46:17 EDT
Eric, I'm sure you know the history of the republic has played out,
in large part, against a backdrop of states' rights vs. federal
control. While I hesitate to equate arts/cultural support with, for
example, the issues that led to the Civil War, I think the argument
can be made that there are subjects that are better addressed at the
national level, because, sometimes politics--and I hope this doesn't
come across as knee-jerk elitist liberal dogma--can be TOO local (see
Tip O'Neill): the arts are the first, best target in times of cutural
conservatism and economic contraction.

My state's arts agency, the Massachusetts Cultural Council, suffered
huge cutbacks during the shift from Democratic (read Mike Dukakis) to
Republican (presidential hopeful Bill Weld) governors. Sure, the state
administration had become bloated during the 1980s, but the MCC was
reduced to a shell of its former self, and I know many people--artists,
educators, etc.--who, despite the efforts of the current MCC staff (fine
people all, and, thanks again for the grant for the symposium!) who have
up stakes and left the state (and us the poorer for it).

Clearly, my opinion is that government funding of the arts is a good
thing.

Brian Wallace
Media Arts Exhibit Developer/Manager Historical Collection
The Computer Museum, Boston