From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 14:46:03 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
"BRENINGER, Leah" <[log in to unmask]> says:

> Long term loan would be the
>option they would be considering. We are reluctant to enter into long
>term loans for all the usual reasons.

While it is certainly true that long-term loans are not the best idea for
museums to get into, I believe that a difference can be drawn between long-
term loans from individuals (such as what small historical societies do all
the time) and long-term loans from organizations.

What you need to do is to draw up an agreement/contract for this specific
situation, which spells out control of the objects, exhibition, loan,
reproduction rights, conservation, costs, AND what happens in the event
that either group ceases to exist.  We are currently entering into such
an arrangement with a group for an object that they are interested in
depositing with us.  Although they have set some restrictions on our use
of this object, by and large, the restrictions are something that we can
live with.  If you are really good at negotiating, you can also put some-
thing in the agreement that would spell out exactly under what circumstances
you would get the banners as a gift.

The other thing you need to do is make sure the agreement has a fixed
term and must be renewed by the parties--and follow up.  Otherwise, you
are left with the same kind of long-term loan that we go out of our way
to avoid.

Good luck.

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
Museum of the South Dakota State Historical Society
Pierre