From:
MOH Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 15:25:11 -0400
Dear Cybersourcers,

Has anyone designed or purchased custom/readymade worktables on locking
casters that double as material /small artifact storage cabinets?
I would like to dedicate one entirely to supplies for paper conservation
with clean working surface . A self healing cutting mat ,mat cutters, could
be stored below and yet permit working in the seated position on a hydraulic
technicians stool.
Ultimately several of these would be allocated to each area of conservation
work performed. Leather,metals ceramics/porcelain. All would match
countertop perimeter heights of existing lab cabinetry.My lab is designed
for 6 work stations on the perimeter, and yes there is one for lefties ,a
cue I took from my children.
When rolled together these "stations" serve as worksurface for large
artifacts Separated they become individual work stations "dirty/clean" for
smaller artifacts.
If I were to design one I'd have it perform double duty as small artifact
locked storage just based on experience to prevent small components of a
disassembled artifact ,like a clock from straying.Embarassing when it comes
time for reassembly.
Well in the last three years I have been researching lab design,and
cabinetry ,visiting museums and discussing what and what does not work.
Since I cannot have our own design shop build it to my specc, I'm curious if
anyone on this list has been successfull having had similar needs?

I found:
Workplace Systems Inc.
562 Mammoth Road
Londenderry NH 03053
800-258-9700  (603)622-3727

They produce modular work systems for technicians and have an excellent
catalogue.
What I am looking for could be adapted to there products,but I would like to
know what others may be out there.
Thanks again,I have never not had an answer to a query,you are all to be
commended for sharing.This list just gets better all the time!
Regards,
Len Hambleton-Objects Conservator
NC Museum of History
Raleigh N.C.