From:
Marc Ligon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 22:14:37 GMT
In article <v01540b00b239cf08b949@[209.58.1.19]>,
  Kathleen Paton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello List Members,
> I am a new subscriber who is not affiliated with an institution; however, I
> have an MA in Museum Studies from the State University of New York, and did
> my museum internship at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. (I also
> volunteered briefly at the Brooklyn Historical Society and the American
> Craft Museum.)
>
> Question: How does one get involved in producing museum videos, the ones
> that are typically screened as an adjunct to an exhibition? Are they made
> in-house? Are they commissioned by outside video producers? I am trying to
> find out what skills/education I might need to get involved in this field.
>
> Thanks for any and all help.

We are a video production company.  We create "long-format" pieces. Currently,
we are in the developmental stages of creating a television program about
special exhibits.  So, I think I can give you some "reasonable" feedback.

It seems that many of the tapes that are shown concurrently with special
exhibits during the exhibit are either done by the museum's internal
communications staff and/or by professional video production companies.  This
seems to vary based on the size of the museum...and the importance of the
exhibit.  You can determine who is producing the videos by looking at their
jackets (if for sale) or by inquiring who produced them at the museum itself.

Regarding your inquiry about "getting involved in this field" - my question
would be, "in what aspect?"  Video production has many components: Research,
writing, camera work, audio work, producing, directing, editing, music...so
forth and so on.

If you want a "general overview" of video production, you might check with a
local university or college to see what courses they have.  There might also
be some "community adult" classes available.

Seeing that you have an MA in Museum Studies leads me to think you would be
interested in the research and/or writing aspects - since you would understand
the subject matter.

I hope this helps.

Marc Ligon