From:
Robert Heslip <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 08:02:00 GMT
Happy New Year to Everyone.

The Irish Museums Association is offering copies of its journal 'Museum
Ireland'.  Volume 7 for 1997 has just been published and contains the
following items:

Editorial
Robert R. MacDonald 'Museums Managing Change: A Perspective from New York'
Amanda Pedlow 'Who is Managing What? A Case Study of Financial Management'
Nikki Ralston 'The Conservation of a Nineteenth Century Panoramic Lithograph'
Marie Bourke 'Outreach - Museums Engage with Local Communities'
Ethna Verling 'The Role of Museums within the Heritage Council'
Aideen M. Ireland 'National Cultural Institutions Act, 1997'

Exhibition Reviews:
Early Ireland 10,000 - 1,500 BC at the Ulster Museum, Belfast
Colum Cille: 597-1997: commemorations and exhibitions
The Irish in London, Images and Memories 1940s - 1990s at Grange Museum of
Community History, Neasdon, London
Irish Lifetimes: Representing Irish Croydonians at the Croydon Museum
The Story of Mann, the House of Manannan in the Isle of Man
The Exploration of Space at Kerry County Museum

Developements:
The Gulbenkian Irish Museum of the Year Awards, 1996
Extension to the National Gallery of Ireland
Donation of paintings by Sir Denis Mahon to the National Gallery of Ireland
The National Museum of Ireland at Collins Barracks
New legislation in Northern Ireland
New government ministers

Reviews of:
Stephen Jay Gould 'Dinosaur in a Haystack'
David Lowenthal 'The Heritage Crusade and the Spoils of History'
Liam de Paor 'Ireland and Early Europe'
SPNH 'Storage of Natural History Collections'
ed. Fitzgibbon and Kelly 'From Maestro to Manager: Critical Issues in Art
and         Culture Management

The price is £10, plus postage

We also have 'A Survey of Museums in Ireland' (1994), which at present is
the most complete (and up-to-date) list of Irish museums at £4, plus postage

A small number of back numbers of 'Museum Ireland' are also available at £8,
plus postage, only main articles listed.

1996
R. Heslip 'Back to Basics'
J. Sandahl 'Emotional Objects'
M. Dunleavy 'A Future for our Museums'
J. McCreevy 'Teamwork for Preventive Conservation: A European Pilot Project'
M. Bourke 'Making Museums Accessible to People with Disabilites'

1995
A. Kelly 'Policies for the Arts'
P. Cooke 'A Charged Issue: Admission to Museums'
M. Ryan 'The way we were and the way we telli it'
M. Bourke 'Writing Worksheets'
R. Heslip 'The Museum of American Frontier Culture'

We also welcome new members - the subscription is £12 but some allowance
would have to be made for extra postage and brings a copy of 'Museum
Ireland', usually published in October, plus at least three issues of our
newsletter.  Our annual conference held 20 - 22 February in Cavan, is always
exceptionally good value, in academic, social and financial terms.

                        Robert Heslip, Vice-Chair