From:
Kris Morrissey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 12:48:41 +0100
Thanks for starting this dialog.  Our staff has had many discussions about
museum programming efforts and how to stay competitive, vital and yet true
to our mission.  We have found over and over, that our most successful
programs are those that are intellectually challenging, fun, exciting and
creative- these qualities are not mutually exclusive.  In fact, I think I
would say that a program is not truly exciting and creative if it isn't
intellectually challenging.

We have had many successful (and some even "wildly successful") programs
because we attempted to stay true to our strengths and yet responsive to
our audience. That is what makes our programs different from those (equally
valuable programs) offered by other community organizations.  I'd also like
to point out that the formal education field has made great efforts to move
away from lecture style presentations.

Kris Morrissey, Ph.D.
Curator of Interpretation
Michigan State University Museum