From:
Martin Taureg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:16:48 +0100
>Elizabeth Licata at the Castellani Art Museum wrote:
>>
>>> On the subject of food, does anyone know of other exhibitions specific
>>>
>>> to food, its history, science, art, etc during the last 10-20 years or
>>>
>>> so and where they were held? (We had one in 94 at the Castellani
>>> called
>>> Consuming Passions.) Is there a museum devoted to food?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Elizabeth Licata
>>> Castellani Art Museum
>>> Niagara University

The Ethnographic Museum of the City of Luebeck, Germany, presented a
temporary exhibition on various aspects of the history of the potato, both
in South America, and in Northern Germany and Denmark, in 1993, which I
curated. It was subsequently shown in some other German and Danish museums.
The idea was to present the potato (its role as a nutrient, object of
ritual representation, etc.) as an example of the many achievements of
Amerindian culture that eventually found its way into European agri-culture
and diet, now being regarded as a "typical German / Danish food crop".
There is a catalogue (German, with Danish translation):
»Aus den Anden auf die Geest. Die lange Reise der Kartoffel von América nach
Europa« <From the Andes to the Sandy Uplands. The long journey of the
potato from América to Europe> [Catalogue for Traveling Exhibition ].
Schleswig: Schleswiger Druck- und Verlagshaus. 1993.
For details, write to:
Voelkerkunde-Sammlung der Hansestadt Luebeck. D-23539 Luebeck. Germany.
Fax: (49 451) 12-26690

Martin Taureg
Photo Archives Programme Coordinator /
Coordinateur du Programme des Archives Photographiques

PROGRAMME DES MUSEES DE L'AFRIQUE DE L'OUEST /
WEST AFRICAN MUSEUMS PROGRAMME (WAMP)
140, Rue Moussé Diop
B. P. 357
Dakar, SENEGAL

Phone / Téléphone:          (++221) 22 50 57
Fax / Télécopie:            (++221) 22 12 33
E-mail / Courrier électronique:       [log in to unmask]