From:
Rick Kerschner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:44:19 -0700
You should investigate a centralized HVAC system for your 5000 square feet of basement storage space. It will certainly be more expensive than stand alone dehumidifies, but probably much safer for your stored collection in the long run. Have you monitored the temperature and humidity in your building, especially your storage area? I would also assume that you need humidification when you heat the area in the winter. Stand-alone dehumidifies will not take care of that part of the environmental problem. Since your building also has many window air conditioners upstairs, it may be time to investigate a centralized system for the entire building.

We deal with many different types of environmental conditions and solutions at my institution. Contact me off-list if you want to discuss this in more detail.

Richard L. Kerschner
Director of Preservation and Conservation
Shelburne Museum
PO Box 10, Route 7
Shelburne, VT  05482
(802) 985-3348 Ext 3361