From:
Theresa McNichol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 09:41:52 -0400
Hi listers,

This is always a great topic and it proves once again how generous museum
folks are with information. Honestly, I do not think there is another field
that can surpass these folks. I have shared in the past that I "fell" into
the field so to speak. I have a masters in art history, interned at a
museum/gallery while in grad school and landed the directorship of my city
museum, which is also an historic house. The politics were not pleasant but
I will always be grateful for the experience and learning what I was capable
of accomplishing.

Some thoughts I have had lately are about the legal profession. I recently,
spoke with a co-worker whose daughter was an art history major, and went
back to law school specializing in intellectual property. She has an
incredible position for a major TV network. Statistically, more and more
women are entering law school now and the average, (more accurate probably
to say, the above average) attorney out of law school can make six figures.
Silly me was never motivated by money, but just think of the possibilities:
women are needed in politics, and in positions of power and policy making.
You can make a difference. This country, unlike other countries, does not
have a cultural policy and surely this will need to be addressed in the near
future. And look at the immense changes and possibilites of e-commerce,
globalization, etc. that will impact on every field, especially museums.

Everyone on the list has given good, solid advice about the museum field so
I just thought I would throw in another slant. Best of luck.

Terri McNichol
Ren Associates
Consulting on Interculural Relations