From:
Colin Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:29:34 -0700
Melinda makes some excellent points. Talking to the outgoing incumbent would
be useful, as would talking with other people "in the know". Sometimes the
most candid answers will come from former employees who have nothing to
lose, though again beware, for if they left under a cloud (and they probably
would not admit to this), they may have an axe (ax if they are American) to
grind. Retirees have 'seen it all', don't need to worry about career moves,
and might be the most reliable. The more candid knowledgeable opinions you
obtain, the better chance you have of finding the truth.

I have found that it helps my mindset if I go into an interview with the
attitude that it is not just them interviewing me, but that I am
interviewing them as well. I want to know the state of their staff morale,
the stability of their finances, long range plans, quality of building(s)
etc. Would you buy a used car (which like a job has no warranty) without
looking under the hood or test driving it, and ideally having a mechanic
look at it? I find that this attitude helps put the applicant on a more even
footing, though at the interview you are still outnumbered, usually 3:1.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
Curator
Burnaby Village Museum
City of Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Museum web site:
http://www.burnabyparksrec.org/villagemuseum/villagemuseum.html

The opinions expressed above are my own.