From:
Lana Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:42:59 -0500
It's NOT like a horror movie. ....and children are enthusiastic. It's the
distorted view of adults who have not studied enough science that gives
biological reality the tabloid mentality view.

Perhaps if one understood that the beauty and marvel of the human body was
in the arena of an autopsy theater and that before TV and video games there
were public autopsies, it would be more meaningful.

Nothing is grotesque, only the viewpoint of the beholder.

The plastinated horse and rider is Van Hagen's tribute to the Leiden memento
mori, skeletons and riders that remind the viewer how close death is to
life.

The exhibit is not macabre, it's spectacular. There is nothing supernatural
or fantasy about it. If viewed honestly, the exhibit will put to rest myths
about the body. I did not see any evidence of "humiliation." What I saw was
honest, earnest searching for the truth.

I will donate my body because I think it is a worthwhile project.

In fact, I do not think the donors need to be anonymous. One of my friends
suggested that I be posed holding a scalpel, doing an autopsy. Yes, that's
how I would like to be memorialized.

Lana Thompson
(anthropologist)