From:
Susannah West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 01:04:24 -0500
 > ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:53:34 -0500
> From:    Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: mature audiences
>
> I was just at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in
> Cincinnati and one of their exhibits, containing images of oppression
> around the world, had a disclaimer on the wall prior to entering the
> gallery that went something like this:
>
> "Due to strong images of non-freedom, this exhibit may not be suitable
> for all audiences."
>
> They did have some images of starving children and physical violence
> that would probably terrify young viewers.  In fact, a friend tells me
> that the Cincinnati Public Schools won't take school groups younger
> than 6th grade to the Center after parents of younger students
> complained.

I have trouble explaining slavery to young children but is it right to
"whitewash" it?  Since Ohiohistory is taught in fourth grade, we probably see more fourth graders
than any other schoolage group.    They learn about the Underground Railroad, which has been
pretty wellwhitewashed and sanitized itself.  If you were to go by the juvenile
fiction (especially picturebooks) about the Underground Railroad, you would assume that every fleeing
slave "made itto freedom" which of course was tragically not the case.  How do those of
you who are atmuseums that interpret slavery or the Underground Railroad deal with this
issue?
Susannah West
John Rankin House (home of abolitionist John Rankin, 1793-1886)
Ripley, Ohio