From:
Chris Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:28:14 -0400
Susan Ward wrote:
[ I, too, worked several jobs and made a point to do whatever
it took in order to create a good-looking resume, the right internship, the
job
I wanted, etc.  And I tell my staff to do the same thing.

Is it a certain gene that makes some people think things should be given to
them. . . or is it merely youth?]

I come at this from a different vantage: I am changing careers (havin a PhD
in sociology but having spent all my work years in the editorial world as a
journalist and editor, now moving into graphic design and back in school): I
have an impressive resume. But I find that that is held against me as I look
for "entry-level" or other low level work that would help pay bills and keep
me solvent. "You are over-experienced" "you will be bored" etc is what I
face--to the point of first completely erasing the PhD, and now to the point
of fabricating my previous jobs--for example, saying I was in publications
dept, rather than saying I ran it.

I don't think I am owed anything--but it would be nice to think people will
give you a chance as a career changer to get work and contribute without you
past being held against you!

chris raymond
richmond, va