From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:18:57 -0800
I understand your perspective, but I respectfully disagree.

While it takes the artwork out of context, it does provide exposure to
thousands, if not more, children who may not otherwise have had the
exposure.  Initially, they may only see it as "Hey, that was on my
Barbie's skirt when I was little, and how come they made a painting of
it."

However, the memory of the artwork may make a lasting impression in a
child who then may be more intrigued to learn more about its roots.

When I was a child of about 4 or 5, my stepmother made me a dress of
black cotten fabric with little red roses upon.  To this day, anything
having that fabric is a "must buy" for me 40 something years later,
and is of great sentimentality.  It means something.

Applying the transferrence here, perhaps it will do something too to
lots of little children who will better relate to the artwork than the
few in the great population at large who can appreciate it for the
great art it is.

At least I'd hope so.

Gayle Montgomery
aka Indigo Nights

---Julie Collins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I wonder what will be next for Barbie/Mattel!  I just find the use
of that
> and similar
> images inappropriate.  To take an image out of context, without
information
> on the
> image or the artist, is not a good thing.
>

> At 06:21 PM 11/2/1998 -0500, Alex Avdichuk wrote:
> >Doesn't copyright on an image end after 150 years or maybe 150
years after
> >the artist's death?  I think that's why nobody  "owns" the
copyright to
> >such famous paintings as the Mona Lisa, and they often end up on
tacky
> >tourist stuff.  Don't know what legal wranglings go on when a
painting is
> >in a museum collection though (permission to reproduce, etc.)
> >
> >Anyone know for sure?
> >
> >Alex Avdichuk
> >City of Toronto
> >Arts, Culture and Heritage Services