From:
Jane Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:15:07 -0500
For those who are looking for a Directory of Museum Studies Programs, I
suggest the website:http://museumstudies.si.edu/TrainDirect.htm.  It's the
most complete to date, and will respond to most of the questions posed
regularly.     Jane Glaser

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/24/02 04:43PM >>>
While there are many programs that offer degrees/certificates in museum
studies with a specialization in an academic field of study (art history,
anthropology, history, etc.), there are only two programs (that I know of)
that offer a master's in Anthropology with a specialization in museum
studies, George Washington University and University of Denver. I attended
the University of Denver and from personal experience I can tell you that
that type of degree tends to offer a more theoretical background (the
anthropology of museums) with less practical/hands-on museum experience.
It's great for people who are interested in advancing their anthropology
studies but if youÆre interested in more hands-on learning you'll have to
either find outside opportunities or actively seek out opportunities and
teachers/mentors within the program/school.

Whether one type of degree is better than another depends on what you
eventually want to do.  If your goal is to be an anthropology curator in a
museum or a professor/educator than I would suggest you obtain a degree in
anthropology. If you want a job in the more hands-on side of museums
(registrar, collections manager, exhibit designer, etc) than a more
practical degree might be better.

Now, having said that I received the more theoretical degree but I had
little trouble obtaining a job as a collections manager. I was able to
find
a job in a museum while attending school and I volunteered above what was
required at the university's museum all of which gave me the practical
experience I needed. I don't regret my degree choice. I believe it has
made
me a more rounded collections manager and will provide more opportunities
later in life. If I ever get tried of being in collections there is always
research, curating, teaching, etc which might not be available without my
degree in Anthropology.

Hope this helps,
Michelle Gallagher, Collections Manager
Palm Springs Desert Museum
www.psmuseum.org

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
(without the quotes).

[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read