From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:55:00 -0400
I am fascinated that one would teach immigration via the Ellis Island
experience. First of all, only a portion of the poorest European immigrants
came through Ellis Islands (those not in steerage disembarked at Castle
Island) and Ellis Island immigrants are not a representative sample of
immigrants that came/come to America. Secondly, Ellis Island has not
functioned as an immigrant center since 1954 (I believe). Thirdly, Asian
immigrants from the 19th and early 20th century came through Angel Island,
on the West Coast, not Ellis Island. Fourth, enslaved Africans (perhaps the
single largest immigrant group up to the end of the 19th century) came
through ports such as Charleston, not Ellis Island. Fifth modern immigrants
come by air (in most cases) and not by ship. Sixth, El Paso and the San
Diego area of the U.S./Mexican border are among the most significant entry
points of current immigrants traveling by land.

In short, the presentation of the Ellis Island experience as the
quintessential immigrant experience is, besides its sentimentality and
treacle quality, so unrepresentative of the actualities of immigration that
it verges on misinformation. The potential of building a Eurocentric vision
of immigration and reinforcing centuries-old prejudices of native-born
Americans towards non-white immigrants is so obvious in this type of
presentation that I am surprised that a museum would even sponsor such a
mis-education of Davenport's youth.
Cheers, -Nicholas