From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:33:11 -0500
NO, NO, NO a thousand times NO....Here comes the shouting. cover your
ears. (apologies to Dave)

The person who wrote the original treatment method was a CONSERVATION
PROFESSIONAL IN TRAINING. She was working under the supervision of a
faculty member at her university.

SHE HAD ACCESS TO A PROFESSIONAL CONSERVATION LAB.

She posted this treatment on her student web site. What you saw was an OUT
OF CONTEXT excerpt.

Kids, don't try this at home.

There are so many reasons why you shouldn't try this I can hardly begin.

See my earlier posting and call a professional conservator. Then try an
industrial hygenist. Then stop and remember what I call "Diane's
Conservation Credo" First: do no harm, Second: know your skill level,
Third: call a professional.

If you really want my entire philosolphy on caring for cultural property
and appropriateness...drop me an e-mail.

Or wait for Dave to weigh in.....he'll say the same thing only nicer

Diane G.

Remember it's the "American Institute for Conservation" and google works
just fine.