From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:27:25 -0600
When the McFaddin-Ward House became a museum, the collection policy accepted
everything that had been in the house and carriage house (items dated after
our interpretive period up to 1950 are kept in storage). Wine and spirits
from as early as 1933 are in the collection. The bottles that had been
opened were drained, but a few bottles that had not been opened still have
their liquid. We never have any intention of opening the few bottles that
have wine in it, so there is no reason to destroy the integrity of the
artifact. We choose to keep it whole.

Bottles are stored upright for several reasons.

1) To clearly identify them
2) To prevent them from rolling or falling over (bottles were designed to
stand up)
3) To prevent leaks, which are more apt to occur if a cork/stopper fails and
a bottle has not been kept consistently on its side in optimum conditions

They are stored in a designated area just for alcohol, not located over
anything else. If the few that have liquid in it are broken somehow, the
amount of liquid in the storage area would not be a great risk to the rest
of the collection.

I would advise against drinking what is in your collection, as you don't
know how it has been stored. Old liquor, unless it has been stored properly
and it was designed to age in the bottle, does tastes bad. Trust me, I tried
some of whisky from my grandparents' bar that had been stored in a basement
for years after their death, and it was awful!

Such is our story.

Ware

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.
McFaddin-Ward House
Curator of Collections
725 Third St.
Beaumont, TX 77701
www.mcfaddin-ward.org
409.832.1906 p
409.832.3483 f

The McFaddin-Ward House features three floors of original furnishings,
including a newly restored third floor. Learn how the First World War
affected the McFaddin family as we explore "Foxtrots and Foxholes"
throughout 2007. Call 409-832-2134 for tour information.