From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:31:18 -0800
Hello--
        I worked for years in both libraries and bookstores, both new and
used, and I can say that this is a very old story.  Aside from antiquarian
bookstores, whose alertness to stolen books is perhaps less a sign of
their honesty than it is of their realization that a stolen Twain first
edition has a much higher profile in the community than does a basketful
of Barbara Cartland romances filched from the reading room at the local
library, most "used" bookstores willingly buy and sell stolen books.  Of
course, this happens because an amazing number of supposedly good people
steal books from their local college or public library, and then trot
over to the local used bookstore to sell them.
        I saw a complaint in a Eugene paper that our public library lacks
many books listed in the catalog, and that these have not been
replaced.  Most people, thieves or not, do not realize that such libraries
often have no book replacement budget.  Popular new books, classics, and
reference books are the main targets.  A portion of the problem is caused
by some of the libraries themselves, who do not demand or make note of the
patron's identification before issuing a card, under a demented theory
that it is discrimination to require someone to produce a driver's
license, work id. or something like that.
        Finally, I've seen a number of articles such as this one, over
many years.  Theft from libraries is a continual problem also because
books have the highest resale value, related to their worth, of almost any
object.

        Adrienne DeAngelis