From:
Orycteropus afer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 09:26:49 -0600
If you are thinking of building your own collections database, I recommend
that you use something extremely user-friendly that doesn't require a whole
lot of technical experience and can be modified after you've used it awhile
and learned more about what works and what doesn't.  FileMaker Pro is
probably the best choice for a do-it-yourself approach.  More sophisticated
relational databases such as Microsoft's Access or Oracle require more
expertise to get to the same place FIleMaker Pro can take you to quickly.

Building your own system is an iterative, resource-consuming project,
however.  You would probably be better off getting your feet wet with a
relatively inexpensive system such as Willoughby's SNAP! for DOS or Windows.
The Windows version is based on Microsoft's Access.   Willoughby also has
more advanced systems based on Oracle.    Check out the MCN vendor list for
more leads as well as the web site of any vendor you're considering.  The
more you look, the more you'll learn.  Ask lots of questionsd and make sure
you get answers.

You are right in wanting a relational system and the more open and more
mainstream, the better.  Many of the systems on the market (including some
of the ones mentioned in responses to your initial query) do not use open
relational systems but rather proprietary database management systems and
are based on off-brand commercial products or products that do not
incorporate standard relational models.  The more mainstream the database
management system, the more likely you will be able to find people who know
how to use it or program in it and the more books available at the
bookstore, help on the Internet, help from other museum users, etc.

Good luck.