From:
Carol Kocian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:34:08 -0500
     Please research first regarding the style of corset worn by the
deformed lady.  18th century stays did not cause the extreme body
stress that some 19th century corsets did.  Also tight lacing was not
a universal practice.

     Many reenactors of 18th and 19th century wear stays and corsets, and
have to field questions about whether they are unhealthy, not to
mention the sanity of the reenactor questioned!

     It's been quite a while since I've shopped at Amazon Drygoods, but I
recall they have quite a few styles available.  Perhaps they could
advise the best style for your exhibit use.

     -Carol