From:
Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:04:35 -0400
Tracy, this is a tad goofy...I may have posted it in the past...it works!
We sometimes look for ways to engage our greater community that may not
always be on target with our mission, but instead helps elevate us in the
eyes of our local audience as a community cultural center.  During the 100th
anniversary of the teddy bear, a couple of years back, we bought
approximately 100 plain jointed teddy bears, and handed them out to
community members to costume, then return for an exhibit and silent auction
at the conclusion of the run. We received sponsorship form a local bank who
thought it was a great idea -- and that covered the cost of the bears and a
fun concluding party for the auction. We also had people's choice voting,
which everyone loved.
The response was tremendous...we had kids and adults do bears.  Some were
literally costumed in couture knock-offs (the local bridal salon) and others
illustrated local PA German types.  One participant created a bevy a
wonderful bears -- one that was costumed as Charlie Chaplin, another as a
flamenco dancer...amazing! In all, I think we had over 80 bears...the most
expensive sold for $175 (on a $6 and change bear!). All of the bears sold.
We ended up making $3000 clear.  Yeah, not a lot in the scheme of
things...but for us, small beans, serving a constituency of 18,000 or
so...it was fab. We're doing it again this year for the holidays. And we
have the sponsorship of the same bank. We conclude close to Valentines, to
play on that holiday's gift -giving.
any questions, please feel free to ask.
Candace Perry (who becomes weary of the serious stuff of PA German pietism,
and wants to play with bears)
Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center