From:
Joseph Mella <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 09:31:20 -0600
The Preservation Office-Research Services and the Library of Congress
published "Matting and Hinging Works of Art on Paper" in 1981. There may
be a new edition of the publication. I recived my copy from the Library
of Congress. If you have any trouble receiving one, I would be more than
happy sending it to you.

It does present a number of mounting/matting techniques that are still
quite useful. However, we have moved away from the use of wheat, rice
pastes, or methyl cellulouse in favor of Beva film which we heat transfer
to a weight appropriate Japanese rice paper to construct our hinges. It
is heat reversable, with the majority of any residue easily removed with
acetone. Other benefits include not having to deal with drying time (with
replacing blotter papper over the hinged area until dry), and the fact
that this method does not wrinkle the surface of the work of art as the
wet processes often do.

Beva Film can be purchased in rolls from Conservation Materials Ltd. You
can contact them at 702/331-0582.

If any one has any questions on the above, please feel free to contact
me.

Joseph S. Mella
Vanderbilt University Fine Arts Gallery
P.O. Box 1801 Station B