From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 16:10:45 -0800
Ton, you seem to be taking offense where none is
intended and may be slightly behind the story (which
was posted to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MuseNews-Art toward the
beginning of the week).  When I say "these European
nations", I am referring to Italy and Greece,
specifically, and mentioned both in my original post.

Greece has now challenged he possession of art held by
the Getty.  See http://news.google.com and query on
Greece Getty as your keywords.  I'm not bashing Europe
or Europeans, and I indicated in my original post that
I anticipated Egypt (not Europe) couldn't be far
behind.

In the states, it is a crime to possess things that
were stolen.  My question though has to do with where
did the theft, if any transpire?  Were these things
sold by countries in dire need of cash during the
early 20th Century and now the countries want to
repatriate them, or were they stolen by someone at the
time and sold to the institutions here?  I also
indicated that institutions here who have Native
American artifacts may wish to watch this for "the
precedent."  If artifacts were sold by the nation and
cash exchanged at the time, then this would be unjust
enrichment from my perspective.  I just don't know and
wanted some help in understanding the issues.

I personally don't like the fact that old institutions
were pillaged, whether it was by their own
governments, or by unscrupulous individuals on either
side of the Pond.

Sorry, I've been at the hospital all night with a
sister who was rushed into emergency surgery (she's in
there now).  If I'm not perfectly clear, ask for
clarification (without accusation)

--- "MSN CPPnet (Ton Cremers)"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Why are 'these European nations' claiming theft and
> demanding return of
> artifacts? First of all: it is not 'these European
> nations', but it is Italy
> demanding the return of illicitly acquired
> artifacts. 'Why now': this is not
> just 'now' but this discussion has already been
> going on for many years. Why
> legal steps right now: because recently new evidence
> - and very convincing -
> evidence has been found. The past five years I have
> warned the Getty again,
> and again that the Carabinieri were very near to
> proof without any doubt
> that many of the Marion True acquisitions were
> illicit. I am afraid that the
> Getty just did not grab the chance to settle when
> this still was possible.
>
> As for possible claims by other countries: I am
> convinced that each and
> every claim must be judged at it's own merits.
> Generalizing about 'these
> European nations' really does not lead to any
> solution of this problem.
>
> Finally: not everything that is legal is ethical.
>

> Ton Cremers

Indigo Nights