From:
Mt Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 18:23:10 EDT
Hi Rebecca,

I dealt with the same issue recently. I wanted some of the photographs to be
smaller  (5x7 and 8x10) because I felt their content would better convey
being more intimate in size. After many discussions with the designer I ended
up agreeing with her that the images should be enlarged to "around" 11 X 14.
Some were 10.50 x 13.75 , etc., this kept the exhibition from being too
stagnant and allowed for a more open arrangement to advance the story being
told. About three images were enlarged to 16 x 20 inches but these were
mostly maps.

These sizes as opposed to 5 x 7 and 8 x 10  were much easier on the eyes
especially for older patrons and the varied sizes of the images kept the mind
engaged longer.

I spent a lot of time choosing the matt color and texture. I decided on a
blue/green with more green matt color. This color seemed to pull the eye into
the image and complimented the sepia toning of the photographs.

We were working with the same amount of space as your museum but in a
slightly later time period (1870-1910). I thought that I couldn't really
treat the subject well with that amount of space but I ended up having more
than enough room. Also, varying the sizes will allow you to place more images
without them looking crowded or anyone straining to see.

I hope this was of some help :-)

Theresa Christian
Captain Salem Avery Historic House Museum
Shady Side, Maryland