From:
Emily Greenwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:23:55 -0400
So am I.

This is a notice to all the hard working, talented, and innovative museum and arts
education professionals who have made looking for a job a full time endeavor. I
would like to suggest a supportive email list for those who are struggling with the
same situation I am, perhaps a way to communicate and network, perhaps to feel
more active in your own future. I know I have many contacts, perhaps not leading me
to an appropriate position, but maybe for someone else. I am sure you all search the
appropriate job listings (the notifications on this list are wonderful, thank you!), but
being an anonymous, albeit passionate, applicant is not as strong as making
personal contact, which such a network can support. If you are interested in an email
list, which I am willing to start, please contact me at [log in to unmask] , and
state clearly what your situation is and whether you can offer help to other
applicants.

I would also like to comment that there needs to be reform in the manner that
applicants are handled in the human resources and personnel departments of these
organizations. As someone who has handled the hiring of employees, I understand
the stack of papers and daunting list of applicants that needs to be processed, but
behind each stack of paper are individuals who are putting themselves out there in
the hopes that their hard work will be recognized and talents appreciated. I strongly
feel that applicants should be part of the communication, notified if the position is
filled with simple, signed letter, not a postcard sent out eight months later. What
might not be understood is that there are valuable people waiting for contact,
respecting the no phone call rule and hoping that they are one of the chosen to at
least be met. I believe strongly in personal contact, and in my past positions have
always welcomed those who just wanted to talk about employment, internships,
exhibiting artwork, or just being involved.

Thank you all, good luck out there,

Emily Greenwood