From:
Amy Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:24:27 -0400
Hi all-

I am interested in learning about the various techniques for soliciting
visitor comments that you have used or experienced in exhibitions.

At the Vermont Historical Society, we are creating a new permanent
exhibition, "Freedom and Unity: One Ideal, Many Stories," scheduled to open
next January.  The exhibit explores some of the contentious and dynamic
issues in Vermont's history: Who is a Vermonter?  How should we use the
land?  How do we foster a democratic society?

We'd like to do a pretty extensive feedback area at the end, that would
hopefully serve as a sort of conclusion (it wouldn't be the sole concluding
interpretation).  The big ideas of this section would be that we are all
living history and that issues explored 200 years ago are often still
important today.  We've thought about a kind of Vermont family tree or
timeline where people could place themselves on.  Also- an issues area,
where we pose specific, timely questions about land use, identity or
government in Vermont.  We'd also like general feedback on what they liked
and didn't like in the exhibit.  We want opportunities for children to
respond also. And lastly, of course, we are looking for fairly low
maintanence and relatively inexpensive options

As you can see, we have a lot of objectives for this section.  Any thoughts
about how we might achieve some of these things or anecdotes of your
experiences with visitor feedback areas would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
Amy Cunningham
Director of Education
Vermont Historical Society