From:
Anne Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 22:38:12 GMT
This is my first post -- I'll try to keep my query brief.  I'm the
director of a small, upstate NY historical society.  We own two 19th
century townhouses, totalling about 16,000 sq. ft. (all museum
functions are currently incorporated into this complex).  I am
looking to talk with other smaller museums who have recently
undergone construction projects (renovations or new construction).

We have lots of questions regarding space/function allocation,
moving collections as preparation to construction, cost
effectiveness of permanent off-site storage, and the logistics of
same.

One option we are contemplating is off-site storage for our non-fine
arts collections in a location that could eventually provide us with
curatorial workspace and programming/exhibition space.  That might
generate visibility for us in another part of our city or county.
However, we're not sure we can afford to do this despite the fact
that we'd be paying for the start-up with part of a capital
campaign.

Let me also say that we've done the off-site storage route with a
smaller amount of the collection and know well its drawbacks.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

--
Anne Ackerson
Compuserve 103604,2054