From:
Ed Bridges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 11:05:56 EDT
     I recently saw two postings on here about, first, the closing of the
Guggenheim's Library and firing of it's staff (from the minutes of an
ARLIS meeting);  then, secondly, a different statement (by Robbin Murphy)
that they had simply moved to the SoHo branch.  I contacted Janine Henri
(who posted the ARLIS message) privately, and she responded thusly:

>Ed--The news which we had at our conference in Providence is that the
>staff was in fact let go.  The head librarian was hired on a temp.
>basis to assist in the disposition of the collection--which might
>include storing in SoHo.  The severance packages of the librarians
>includes a gag order, which makes complete information difficult.
>The Museum of Modern Art has sent out an official memo stating that
>they will not provide inter-library loan to the Guggenheim since
>they do not have a professional librarian.  We hope that the reaction
>of our society will influence the Board of Directors to rethink their
>decision--or at least prevent any further museum library closures!
>Janine Henri

     A question to Robbin, do you know if they're in fact opening the
library up for public use at the Guggenheim, with a library staff?  If this
is true (which it seems to be from what Janine said above), it seems the
Guggenheim is in some deep water, financially.
Ed Bridges
American Museum of Natural History
212 769-5277 fax
212 769-5740