From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:17:17 -0400
On 3/12/08, Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> When that happened to me, it really brought into question the integrity of
> the people working at the institution.  How important can this job be if
> they don't review applications for a year after the posted the position?

It depends on the situation. Two calls were from places where I had
interviewed but didn't get the job. They had a new opening, remembered
my resume, and called me. One was a Federal position and those always
take forever. I just got a "you were qualified but not selected for an
interview" form for a job that I applied to probably about 6 months
ago. All bets are off for Federal positions as you never know when
they will get back to you, if ever.

As for finding government pay scales, you usually have to go to the
city, county, or state website and look it up there. For the US
federal government, pay scales are here:

http://www.opm.gov/oca/08tables/

Assume that you will start at the bottom of the scale. Technically,
you can start at a higher step but it's rare unless you are already in
the government and getting paid more than what the starting level is
for the grade.

Deb